As I've mentioned in my latest journal, I decided to start releasing my 3D models so that other people can use it as reference or base for their work. I'll check them out to see if there are any corrections that can be made and then add the links for download in their respective deviation page.
Meanwhile, I had the idea for a contest. Below is an .obj file of my Torvosaurus
model, in a specific position. The rules are as following:
1. Ideally, you should import the file into a 3D software of your choice (I've tested for blender and sculptris, it probably works for zbrush as well) so that you can view it at any desired angles, lighting and camera settings. For those of you who don't have or can't use any 3D software, I've included the image above with some varied shots of it. You should definitely go 3D, though - that's the whole idea behind this contest!
2. You may not alter the model in anyway. There may be some inaccuracies, although I believe it is fine enough so you don't need to worry about that. The pose shall remain exactly as it is.
3. The challenge is to use this model as reference for creating your own piece, either a drawing/painting (the way I usually do) or if you really want to, create a texture for it, put it in a virtual environment and render the heck out of it. The context in which the animal will be inserted is up to you. Is it preparing to eat, or to drink? It is caring for its offspring? Scaring small animals alway from its kill? Doing some kind of courtship or threat display? Your choice.
4. You may create this piece by referencing the model from any desired angle and perspective. You're not obliged to fit the whole animal in it - close-ups are allowed. But I advise you to make use of what you have; a simple profile of it's head doesn't make the model any justice.
5. You can (and should) include other things into your piece: plants, other animals, just insert the Torvosaurus
in a scene. You can also add a few touches here and there such as dorsal spikes or protofeathers if you want, but nothing that changes its appearance too drastically.
6. The deadline is February 28th, so more than a month to work on this. At that date I'll personally choose 2-5 entries and put them up for you to vote on the winner, who will get a free commission from me. The entries shoul be sent to me via email (email@example.com) or you can provide me with a link for your entry via note. I recommend you guys to upload your entries here on DA as well!
The entries won't be judged by artistic proficiency. Much like in the All Yesterdays contest, what matters here are your ideas! What can you do with the model in a way that's different from anyone else's? The contest is also a way to introduce people to the wonders of 3D media and how helpful it can be to aid you in creating a nice composition.
I hope you guys like this challenge and participate. I'd love to have many entries to vote!
Here is the file for download: [link]
If you have any questions of if you're having trouble acessing the file, please ask!